This grand old power station was constructed in 1906 just upriver of Niagara Falls on the Canadian side. It was built right in the Niagara River bed for more efficient use of the powerful force of the flowing water.Electricity from this plant was transmitted to the city of Toronto, 144 km (90 miles) away. Canadian owned Electrical Development Company built this magnificent powerhouse on the river’s edge where it occupies an area that was once under 2.4 to 7.3 meters (8 to 24 feet) of water.In 1974 the Toronto Power Generating Station closed and ownership of the facility was transferred to the Niagara parks Commission in 2007. It is currently undergoing a structural assessment to determine if the building can be used for other purposes. Close to Niagara Falls right next to the river, it is a beautiful and imposing structure with the appearance of an ancient coliseum.