The history of Table Rock dates back to the mid 1700's. As the Horseshoe Falls receded, a large shelf of rock was revealed. This became known as Table Rock. It was from this original shelf that Frederick Edwin Church created what is probably the most famous painting of the Horseshoe Falls, Niagara,in 1857. After rockfalls in 1818, 1828, 1829, 1850, 1853, 1876 and 1897, Table Rock became unstable. In order to ensure the safety of those below the shelf, namely the Ontario Power Station, Table Rock was blasted in 1935. Today’s Table Rock is located just North of the original rock shelf. While the original rock shelf was blasted, the Ontario Power Station continued to be operational until it was decommissioned in December 1999. Built in 1904, deep in the Niagara River Gorge, this particular power station is the oldest of the currently visible stations. Although no longer operational, the old tower next to Queen Victoria Park, known locally as the Illumination Tower, is now used to house the giant lights that illuminate Niagara Falls each evening.