The stately buildings across the river from the Botanical Gardens are part of Niagara University, in New York State, U.S.A.. Niagara University is a Catholic university, located in the town of Lewiston in Niagara County, overlooking the Niagara River gorge. Founded in 1856 by the Congregation of the Mission, it used to be named Our Lady of Angels Seminary. The schoolmoved from Buffalo to its current location in May of 1857. 26 years later, on August 7, 1883, The College and Seminary of Our Lady of Angels officially changed its name to Niagara University, and it is still run by the Vincentian Fathers.Niagara University has 3,300 undergraduate students in 50 academic programs. Although the college is known as a liberal arts school, it offers programs in technical and preprofessional disciplines as well.